TODAY, I’ve watched a very mushy movie entitled, “It Takes A Man and A Woman”. The movie is the third installment of the Laida & Miggy tandem, also known as John Lloyd and Sarah Geronimo love team. The interesting fact about this movie is that it begins with an ex-couple learning to love again. It was a corny movie, mushy and full of kengkoy moments, but I actually liked it because it reminds me of some things I need to remind myself of. I will try to explain each one with a corresponding line from the movie.
1. “A lot of times I’ve been tired and gave up. It took a long time for me to realize that there are no instant happy ending. I never realized that I failed to understand the true meaning of unconditional love, of love that I always thought and I perfectly had for you. Forgive me for the times that I gave up. That’s how to truly love, accept all beautiful things, ugly things, sad things, hurtful things.” Yes, there’s really no instant ending. Most of the time, when a person wants to quit, give up or run away from a boring relationship, that’s when they realize that the relationship they have is not really boring but it’s just how they think of it. Everything becomes a routine and they think that a fling or a new relationship would be a good escape. But maybe if they didn’t give up, and just waited or hold on, it might turn out better.
2. “True love is not how you forgive, but how you forget; not what you see, but what you feel; not how you listen, but how you understand; and not how you let go, but how you hold on.” A great advice with this line is that when you go into a serious relationship, always remember that it is a package of trials and joy. You have to work it out really hard ‘coz the end will all be worth it. True love will always be the hardest one to work out because like the diamond, your relationship needs a lot of beating, carving, polishing and heat to make it perfect. Hence, when everything is falling apart that’s when you need to hold on tighter ‘coz it’s all a test of faith and love. Of course, this will only not be applicable if love is gone, REALLY gone, ok?
3. “People change. Nothing stays the same forever. Change is down to happen. Change is just you know, part of life.” The line states it all. Change is inevitable. Love also changes, so it depends on the people how they would handle it.
4. “Trust is a BIG WORD.” Definitely true. Trust is the second basic foundation of a relationship, next to love. You should value it like how you will value your life. ‘Coz it’s really hard to earn trust especially for a girl. It takes time, effort and patience.
5. “Sometimes, being the best means being the least. Be good even after you made a mistake. Sometimes, being good just works down to be able to say sorry. Sometimes, being good is loving the people who hurt you and making the most difficult choices that may hurt the people you love. Sometimes, we are so focused on being the best that we forget to be good. We lose sight of the fact that everyday is a struggle to just be better.”
6. “Today I realized I won’t be making any vows in my wedding… Because this is not the day for promises. Today I stand here in front of you in complete surrender. I have no worries. I have no fear because I know… I am sure I’m yours.” I think this one of the greatest wedding vows I have heard. Especially, to know that your significant other is making a complete surrender of himself/herself.
7. “Piliin mong magpatawad. Piliin mong magmahal.”
8. “This is the man I wanna be. For the first time in my life, I wanna be the last. I wanna be the last man you’ll ever love Laida. Can I be that man?”
9. ”Tara guys. Taguan tayo. Taguan ng feelings.”
10. Laida: Noon pinangarap ko lang mahalin ang isang Miggy Montenegro. Ngayon nagpapasalamat ako dahil di na ako naghintay ng matagal para matupad ang pangarap ko na yun. Hindi naging madali ang love story natin. Ilang beses din akong napagod at sumuko. Matagal bago ko naintindihan na walang instant happy ending. And then I realized that I failed to understand the true meaning of unconditional love. Of love that I always thought and I perfectly had for you. Miggy: Five years ago, during one of the worst days of my life. When every one was walking out of me, a girl walked into my life. And I never thought that… that day… hindi mo alam na yun pala ang pangarap ko. Yun na pala ang future ko.